EUC Number (Charta):
The Foggia musical tradition has a popular origin, which is linked to agricultural and pastoral civilization, as well as the religious rites and ceremonies organized by the noble classes. The widespread use of musical theater, which characterized social life in Foggia as in all the Italian territory during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the strong band tradition that was developed during the second half of eighteenth century, and the most elitist enjoyment of chamber music (in addition to the saloon musik, it allowed access to the most cultured central European repertoire of the Seventeenth Century) found their moment of cohesion in the need to create a real music school. The aspiration to rise to genuine vocational schools by numerous coteries which arose at the beginning of the century, in 1914 led to the founding of the Arch School “Umberto Giordano”. It become a High School Musical after the First World War. In 1938 the “Umberto Giordano” High School Musical was drawn to other national Conservatories. In this way it continued to rise, institutionally and didactically, until 1943, when the bombing leveled nearly the entire city of Foggia and destroyed the San Gaetano Convent, where classes were hosted. Since 1945 the Institute was rebuilt, the classes repopulated, the instruments repurchased and, thanks to some private donations, the bibliographic fund replenished. Over the years the High School gained increasing recognition. In 1970 the nationalization process of the Conservatory began. It ended in 1977, when Law No. 663 ratified all this process. The “Umberto Giordano” Conservatory of Music followed a progressive growth path. On one hand it has led it to establish in 1980 a new branch in Rodi Garganico, on the other hand it has put the institution at the forefront for the quality of vocational training for artistic production. Particularly in recent years the Conservatory has been rewarded for promoting synergies, partnerships and exchanges with other conservatories, with governments, local and national institutions. Much has been accomplished for the gradual adaptation of structures, the expansion of infrastructures, and enrichment of music instruments and books. Moreover, besides serving educationally the institute, the Conservatory Library is an excellent point of reference for local musicologists and students. Apart from the development of several courses and seminars focused on supporting curricular disciplines, the creation of a Three Year Music Therapy Course (which has been organized in collaboration with the Ismez) has had a national echo. In recent years the training institutional offer has been improved through the creation of post-graduate courses which have been financed by the Puglia Region (Conducting High School whose teachers have been Renzetti, Bellugi, Panula, Bartoletti, Lu Jia, Shambadal, Vaccari, Taraballa), Master of Theory and music therapy techniques in preventing discomfort, Master of Technique and vocal and liederistic interpretation, Masterclasses of Techniques of musical entertainment, Masterclasses of Improvisation forms and music contamination. We mention also some intense collaborative activities for artistic production and research with other institutions of national and international prestige (University of Foggia, Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia Archives of Ethnomusicology, Tchaikovsky Conservatory in Moscow, Sungshin Women's University Seoul, the Italian Youth Orchestra, School of Music Fiesole and others).
Currently there are no network memberships entered for this institution.